Tuesday, February 15, 2011

Philosophy Football

There are few things more unifying across ethnicity and nationality as football (not trying to be pretentious, it's just much easier and more logical). That's something that has been very evident to me over the past few weeks.

(If you like Monty Python and understand football, you'll love this video) 



Sometime in October or November my brother brought to my attention the fact that Roma would be playing a home match the last night we were in Rome in January. Roma as a club has had a special place in my heart ever since the 2007 Champion's League match at Old Trafford. (see below)

  So we decided to go while we were in Rome. On Saturday (the day before the match) we found out that the match was actually that night. Steve and I ended up being the only ones who decided to attempt to go so we set off from the hotel with vague directions from the staff about what metro station to get off at to catch the tram. At the tram station we asked an attendant who gave us even more vague instructions, involving "It's somewhere around [*don't remember the name] Plaza, you'll see the lights. We sat on the tram for a good 20 minutes as the time toward kick-off dwindled rapidly. We had just decided that we had given it a good effort but weren't going to be able to find the place when I suddenly noticed a woman wearing an AS Roma scarf. It was a little like a scene from a movie; I saw the scarf, saw the name of the plaza on a bus, and saw a faint glow beyond the bus station. We got off the tram and after a short walk found ourselves at the Stadio Olimpico! After a little difficulty (mainly because I was being a cheapskate) we bought tickets off a scalper and went in. It was a little dicey at the gate because the attendants refused to believe our names were Antonio and Fernando, as our tickets so clearly indicated. But we got in and on the way up to the seats got to know an Iranian guy and a Bulgarian couple. Our respective nationalities represented 3 continents but we were all there for the same reason, because we love the game. It was really amazing to me. The game was awesome; 3-0 to Roma, got to see Totti play, and had the incredible privilege of watching European football in Europe. It was an experience that already is one of my favorite memories.


Los Hermanos Craig at the Stadio Olimpico, Rome


Then in Barcelona, I started talking to one of my roommates at the hostel (Ferdinand from Peru) about how there was a United match on that night and we decided to find a place to watch it and the Barça match right after. We found a place that was showing it but missed the first 15 minutes due to the fact that the Asian Cup final between Australia and Japan was in extra time. Australia ended up losing, causing the Aussie contingent to start directing dark and meaningful glances at the exuberant Japanese contingent, who left soon after. During the United match (a 2-1 victory for the Comeback Kings) we started talking to an Aussie who turned out to be a goalkeeper like me. We swapped stories, compared fingers bent from breaks, talked about football as it stands in both our countries and how utterly mental it is that Qatar was given the World Cup over the US. The three of us found another pub (if you want to watch sports while travelling, find an Irish pub. you'll never go wrong) after the match that was showing the Barça match. When that was over it was around 10 pm, dinnertime in Spain, so we all went and got tapas. Once again, people from around the world brought together by mutual interest. This obviously wouldn't have happened had I been a baseball fan.

Back in Arahal, I started talking with my friend Conrado (lives in Spain but is Mexican by nationality) about how I wanted to see a match in Spain. Long story short, Conrado and his wife, Elena, and I all went to watch Sevilla/Málaga a couple of weeks ago. Another amazing experience. As a match, Sevilla really played down to Málaga's level and the result was a fairly boring 0-0 draw, but the experience was what I really loved. We found really good seats for what we payed. It was awesome to sit in a packed stadium and listen to the chants. I didn't understand all of them but the ones I did understand were a little too colorful to record here, even in Spanish. I have been really blessed to have friends who will take the time to make sure my Spain experience is the best it can be.
The Sevilla FC stadium in Sevilla

And another thing, in Córdoba a couple of weeks ago I saw a guy wearing a Metrostars scarf! (the Metrostars became the NY Red Bulls a few years ago). I've never seen one in the US but I see one in Códorba. Crazy.

So, if you know your football, you have a connection to just about anyone here in Europe. You may not speak the same language but you know a good goal, a botched call, and a sloppy challenge when you see it. Even the people who don't like football here at least know the big names and teams. My passion for football has provided me with awesome experiences here in Europe. It has brought me into contact with people representing 5 continents and 6 countries and has given me common ground with people whose cultures are very different from my own. You can say that's the power of sports in general, which is partially true, but one need only look at the World Cup to notice there's something about football. It's the world's language.

No comments:

Post a Comment